Saturday, July 20, 2013

Why I run...

It was asked on our Facebook team running page to post: why do you run?

Initially, I decided to run the half-marathon because my coach was running it, and I have wanted to run a half for a long time. But then, as the days went by, more reasons came to me as to why I run and why this organization means more to me than I would have ever thought.

As I reflect on those who have been part of my life, I realize that I know more people who have adopted or are going to adopt a child than I would have thought. Several people I went to high school with have adopted, I don't know the situations, or if any of the children have "special needs", only that they have been able to provide a loving home to a child that needed one. One of my friends from high school is in the process of adopting. She has a very special story of loss and love. You can read about her story here. Of course, my CrossFit coach and her husband (also my CrossFit coach) have one adopted child and are working on bringing home twin boys. I also know someone who has adopted an HIV+ child, whose virus load is now undetectable. Yeah! :)

I look back on my childhood and while it wasn't perfect, I had parents that loved me. I had two sisters that loved me, even if we didn't live in the same household. Had it not been for my family, I wouldn't be where I am today. I cannot imagine living life in an orphanage or foster care. If I cannot provide a home to a child needing one, the least I can do is support an organization that supports adoption.

So, why do I run? I run for my health, to see just how far I can push my limits, to check off a bucket list item, and to raise awareness for Project HOPEFUL, because all children, no matter their HIV status, or other health issues, should have a family to call their own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment